The Alexander T. Stewart Room, named after the founder of Garden City, is located at the rear of the first floor of the Library. It was established in 1973, when the Library was built, and is a valuable resource for those interested in the history of Garden City and Long Island. Its contents include reference books for the Village and many other Long Island communities, yearbooks for the Garden City High School, St. Paul’s School, and St. Mary’s School, Garden City telephone books from 1932, historic atlases, and microfilms of the Garden City News from 1927.
A display in the window provides a succession of images relating to various sections of the Village and other Village topics and is changed monthly.
The reference materials are able to be accessed by staff for review by a patron in the Library. In addition, those interested in browsing, and for additional access to the Village Archives also located in the Library, may contact the Village Historian, William Bellmer, to make an appointment, using the form below.
Over 2000 historic images and other written matter in the Archives relating to Garden City are also available online at NY Heritage Digital Collections site.