Through the generosity of the Friends of the Garden City Public Library, the Library offers free passes to the following 15 museums:
- The Brooklyn Botanic Garden,
- Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum,
- Cradle of Aviation Museum,
- The Frick Collection
- Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum,
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum,
- Long Island Children’s Museum,
- MoMA (the Museum of Modern Art),
- Nassau County Firefighters Museum,
- Nassau County Museum of Art,
- New York Hall of Science,
- New York Historical Society,
- New York Empire Pass,
- New York Transit Museum, and
- Old Westbury Gardens.
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden pass admits two adults and children 17 and under. It also includes reciprocal privileges with other local gardens such as Clark Botanic Garden, Planting Fields Arboretum, the grounds of the New York Botanical Garden (special events are excluded), and many more.
The Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum pass admits one family, up to six people.
The Nassau County Firefighters Museum pass admits up to four visitors.
The New York Hall of Science pass admits two adults and six children. It also gives free parking, free coat check, free access to Science Playground and Rocket Park Mini Golf, and discounted tickets to the 3D Theater.
The New York State Empire Pass allows the pass holder & the occupants of one vehicle free entry to most of New York’s State-operated parks and recreational facilities. Visit the New York State Empire Pass website for the list of participating facilities and hours of operation.
The Frick Collection pass admits two adults. Children under 10 are not allowed in the galleries.
The New York Transit Museum pass admits two adults and up to four children under the age of 18.
Borrowing Policies for Museum Passes
- Museum passes are available only to Garden City Public Library cardholders in good standing who have signed the Museum Pass User Agreement. Museum passes may be reserved in advance and must be checked out by an adult (18 years and older) family member.
- Reservations will be taken up to one month in advance of the desired date, subject to availability on a first-come, first-served basis. Reservations must be done in person at the Reference Desk and will not be taken over the phone.
- Only one pass may be borrowed at a time.
- Only one pass per museum may be borrowed per household within a six-month period.
- The pass may be borrowed for three days and must be returned by one hour before the Library closes on the day the pass is due.
- The day the pass is picked up is considered the first day.
- The passes must be returned to the Adult Reference Desk during Library operating hours.
- Passes placed in the book drop will be charged a $10.00 fee.
- Late charges are $20.00 per day. In the event that a pass is not returned and the Library pays an entrance fee for the next user, that entrance fee will be added to the late fees.
- There is a $5.00 cancellation charge if it is less than 48 hours before the reserved date.
- Any user who loses a pass will be charged the replacement cost of that museum pass.
- Patrons should call the museum directly for information on hours of operation, parking, and/or directions.
Each museum reserves the right to determine the rules and regulations governing the use of the museum pass.
For more information, visit the Reference Desk at the Library or call 516-742-8405 x2.