The Children’s Department will exhibit “Highlights From Children’s Literature” from August 1-31 in the showcases on the main floor. Kids of all ages are sure to enjoy seeing a variety of dolls and stuffed animals paired with coordinated books in this collection.
Young readers are encouraged to join in this year’s collaborative “Fizz, Boom Read! 2014 Summer Reading Club” program. Come check out fun stuff for kids! Summer reading programs began in the 1890s as a way to encourage school children to read during their summer vacation, use the library, and develop the habit of reading. The benefits to readers in a summer reading program include:
- Encouragement that reading become a lifelong habit;
- Reluctant readers can be drawn in by the activities;
- Reading over the summer helps children keep their skills up;
- The program can generate interest in the library and books; and
- It being summer, the program can just be good fun and provide an opportunity for family time at the Garden City Public Library.
Exhibit funding is provided by the Friends of the Garden City Public Library.